.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 23 May 2018

A Queer Shock and the Handicap of all Right-handers.



Several years ago at College, my best friend Joseph Mayanja convinced me to attend a class with him to check out his teacher. Joseph knew I was not keenly interested in Geography but he tempted me, saying that I would miss great “optical nutrition” of watching his new teacher as he wrote on the blackboard. He refused to divulge details of the marvel about the teacher.

Mr. Denison Obua his new teacher was only a week old at the school and he would not know all the students in his class. I sneaked into the lecture theater with Joseph, and we sat next to each other at the back row of the reclining hall.

Not long after we had sat, Denison - about 32, walked into the room in haste and quickly took his seat at the front while greeting the class – the cheerful baritone rousing my unsuspecting heart to beat at the melodious concerto of his voice that reverberated in my head and distracted my attention.

Then, a  pestering tap on my hand shook me out of my distant look through the window - It was Joseph and his stern look said, “keep your eyes on the board!” I returned my eyes to the front of the lecture theater. Denison had finished settling in at his desk to start the lesson.

He stood up and faced the blackboard - he was lanky, about 6ft tall, with long athletic limbs, broad shoulders and small, round firm butt cheeks. His body silently sought my attention, gently courting my heart to drift across the room to dance a private tango with him and whisper into his ears.

At that moment, I reckoned this was the motive of my bosom friend’s desire to taunt my gullible queer heart by inviting me to this class. I turned to Joseph to acknowledge the success of his naughty scheme - but he returned a sterner look that demanded me to focus on the board.

Queer shock

Confused, and the fact that I detested Geography notwithstanding, I begrudgingly obeyed his unspoken instruction and turned to look at the blackboard. Denison had just started writing the topic of the day on the board and immediately, my erotic fantasy was stabbed by what my eyes beheld!

With the chalk stick peculiarly held between the thumb and his fingers of his left hand, Denison’s posture looked very weird as he wrote on the blackboard, standing mid-way the breadth of the two-and-a-half-meter board in a fixed midway position. He wrote pretty fast, only his head following through the forward slanting letters he was depositing on the board. This accentuated his queer posture.

Then something totally unexpected happened when the sentence was midway – Denison swiftly switched the chalk stick to his right hand and continued while maintaining the aesthetic calligraphic handwriting and maintaining the horizontal line of the words.

At the end of the sentence, he switched the chalk stick back to his left hand and without moving from the mid-position he stretched his left hand and started to underline the topic, then switching to the right hand again when he got to the mid-position and finishing off the line without changing its course or his position!

I was dumbfounded by the seamless transfer and consistent delivery of both his hands! A quick scan of the room revealed that all the students seemed excited by their new teacher’s blackboard antics and so I turned to Joseph to register my amazement at Denison’s gift – Joseph was already watching me with a wry smile and a sense of satisfaction. He replied my awe-struck face with an acknowledging wink.

The handicap of all right-handers

As the squeaky sound of the chalk against the blackboard echoed in my ears, and the image of the exhilarated students faded, Denison’s ambidextrous advantage elicited a special sense of natural disability of my left-hand that saddened me.

The largest majority of people are right-handers and are disabled to the extent that if they tried to use the left hand to write, the results will likely turn out to be very laughable scribbling of a three-year old! Left-handers are disabled the same way in their right hand.

It would seem therefore that exclusive right-handedness or left-handedness are disadvantaged handwriting orientations for people with writing disabilities in the left and right hands respectively.

Society once demonized left-handedness and the selfish right handers designed human lifestyle and technology to fit their own majority orientation. Humans have since changed their negative perceptions about lefties. What is also true is that there is the increasing need to be very versatile with both hands and feet be it sports, at home or at the work place.

The distinctive excellence of greats like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Christiano Ronaldo is attributed to this ability. Perhaps soon we shall reckon that the future belongs to the ambidextrous minority.

Ambidextrous Chemistry teacher: It doesn't mater which hand!

Gay Friendly Destinations - Book Here!

Popular Posts